Wednesday, January 11, 2012

What I Remember

It's so satisfying when a composition comes together quickly, but as we all know, this doesn't always happen. Today just happened to be one of those lucky days. I came home from work and had about an hour of free time on my hands. I sat down and briefly planned out my collage, beginning with the image of a prairie landscape as a starting point the overall composition. I kept the whole thing relatively simple and muted, in keeping with the lonely prairiescapes I love so much.


I wanted some poetry or words to go along with my image, and found this lovely poem entitled "Fields" by Daniel S. Barrett. It spoke to my heart and brought so many memories back from my childhood on a farm in North Dakota.

Fields

Fields in my youth are
what I remember the most
open, grassy fields
that rose and fell
with the seasons and
changed color
and housed all sorts of
creatures, trails and
football plays
lost baseballs for a time
and golfballs later
but stayed around
as friends
until they got
broken down and
shaved and manicured over with development
which never ends

I love integrating poetry in my work. It's one of the things I really love about mixed media -- being able to combine my love of words and literature with my art.

The button was on my desk, and seemed to be the perfect color, so I decided why not? I also stamped, using one of my homemade stamps to create some depth and texture. By dinner time, my little collage was finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment