Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Mexico Mission Trip

Last week I went on a mission trip with a group from my church to Ensenada, Mexico. It was an incredible week with very little down time, but I did manage to do a little sketching here and there. We drove from Washington State south through Oregon and California. I loved the landscape as we passed through Northern California and tried to capture the depth of distant hills in the above sketch. While in Ensenada, our team built a modest house for a family of 5. This sketch gives you an idea of what the house looks like.
While there, I met a whirlwind of a woman who, among many other jobs, has opened this secondhand clothing shop. All of the profits are donated to charity or used for various mission and outreach projects in the community. I didn't have my camera, so I sketched this from memory. It is located in a very poor, dusty, downtrodden part of the city, yet she has managed to make it a beautiful place for women to come and find good quality secondhand clothes at very reasonable prices.
Even though our work kept us very busy, we did have a few opportunities to enjoy the beautiful beaches there during our stay.
There is so much more I could say about this trip. It was an amazing experience for me to share a small bit of something I know how to do (sew) with women who have next to nothing. Though my heart is heavy with seeing the reality of poverty, at the same time I am optimistic after seeing all of the positive energy and love that so many wonderful people are sharing in this place in an effort to improve the lives of those who need it most.

24 comments:

  1. Looks like a wonderful trip. Great sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun to sketches to bring back the memories. We can always find a little time for quick sketching. Sounds like a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and thanks for the comment on my blog post and Happy PPF.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Debbie,
    Thanks for commenting on my post.Is that a travel journal/art book you did on your trip? what a great idea. I have seen many others do this too. I think you are so blessed to have gone on the trip and thanks for sharing a bit of it with us here on the blog-o-sphere. My brother lives just north of San Antonio and he really wants to have me visit. he wants to show me some of the missions around there. He thinks I would love to paint them
    I know I would greatly enjoy that
    -KAT- # lucky 13 on PPF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did keep a journal on my trip. I'm not usually so good at this, but I organized a small kit to take along including a travel watercolor set, watercolor pencils, waterbrushes, glue stick and scissors. I should do a blog on this. It's so easy to do, and so fun!

      Delete
  5. what wonderful inspiration you took from your trip, lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the great documenting going on here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a moving experience! You did a wonderful work of capturing the flow of the land and it´s colours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a trip! Very impressive to have not only helped in the building of a home but to still make time to sketch! Thanks for your kindness and hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! ~ Great sketches and awesome trip ~ excited for you ~ thanks ^_^ ( A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the way you show so much with so little paint- fantastic stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great sketches and what an interesting trip. How exciting. Thanks. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This post touched me since only a few hours ago I was saying how blessed we are to be born here in Canada!! There are even places where destitute women can go to get free clothing when in dire straights!! We all have so much!!

    What a wonderful and loving work you have done! You should be so proud of yourself! Wonderful sketches!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  13. My daughter went on a mission trip to mexico a few years ago and she really enjoyed it too. I like your sketches and your trip sounds fascinating. (I'm a new follower! I hope you'll follow me too!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a great trip!
    Looks like you got a LOT of art in!
    Especially love your first landscape and the image of the tile found on the beach, too...what a lovely find!
    ♥♥♥
    Happy PPF!!
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such an amazing trip! I love that you captured the feelings with your art!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so glad that you shared your trip with us. It is amazing how much positive energy transferred from one group to another can make a difference for a very long time.

    Your sketches are wonderful. Thank you for sharing them and your trip with us.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, you've been busy! Wonderful sketches. Happy Painting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful way to capture great memories. I especially like he walking-on-the-beach scene.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your sketches - photography has its place - but these little sketches will be wonderful memories of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  20. amazing work you did there, what a life learning experience it must be... but a feel good one to know you left a part of yourself that those women can use for their lifetime and betterment. Bravo to you. Your sketches are good and give a feel for what you experienced. thanks for sharing and for being such a wonderful human being. And for reminding the rest of us what we take forgranted and should be grateful for.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds like a really inspiring trip. I really love the sketch of the little piece of tile.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your sketches made me feel like I was right there with you on your amazing trip. I really love the tile sketch, I love finding things like that on the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fabulous work... Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. I love your entire blog and just became a follower! I'd love it if you'd follow me too! Keep up the wonderful, artful life!!!
    Renee
    xoxo
    www.fussitup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete