Friday, January 10, 2014

Growing Stronger - Work in Progress



Another year has started, and I feel that I am getting closer to figuring out what I really want to do in my art. Over the past two years, I've been like a sponge, absorbing and learning all I can about mixed media and collage, as well as striving for a more abstract style in my work. I'm more confident about drawing again and finding ways to integrate drawing into my mixed media pieces. Drawing brings my process to the forefront, exposing all of the messy twists and turns of the process, giving an  expressive quality and depth that I like. The imperfections are interesting visually to me. I love creating a sense of mystery in my work, leaving at least part of the meaning up to the imagination of the viewer. I've been working on my painting, too, and find that sooner or later, I come back to watercolor. I'm using watercolor over gesso in this piece, along with collage.

For all of the reasons, I feel I am growing stronger as an artist, and that feels really good!

11 comments:

  1. love the colours you used in this piece!!! wonderful work Debbie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like where this is going ♥ The colors are great and I love how the water colors are rather transparent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! it's a great journey you're taking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is so nice! i love all the texture going on in the background!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful - I like this very much - a soft and expressive piece ...and great thoughts ! Good luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are on your path, I love that. It has taken me awhile too. I love that you are putting the mystery in your works. Blessings, Janet PPF

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a beautiful piece. I love the flowers and bird especially. Wonderful to make progress on your path!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely inspirational piece so far!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gesso and watercolor - perfect! I love the tonal aspects of your piece - it is truly beautiful! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a gorgeous piece of artwork! It´s well composed and I like these soft colours and the little details!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful, dreamy and that magical flower! <3

    ReplyDelete